» Division of Animal Nutrition

About Animal Nutrition Division

AN IVRI
Animal Nutrition Division

Animal Nutrition Division is one of the oldest seat of systematic research in the field of animal nutrition in India. It was started in 1921 as a Laboratory of Physiological Chemist at the Imperial Agricultural Research Institute, Pusa, Bihar. In 1923, it was transferred to Banglore where it formed one of the two wing of the Imperial Institute of Animal Husbandry and Dairying. In 1928, on the recommendations of Royal Commission on Agriculture in India, it was transferred to Izatnagar, and the status of the laboratory was raised to a full-fledged Division. In 1939, Lord Linlithgow, the then Viceroy and Governer General of India, inaugurated the new building of this Division. Later four Regional Animal Nutrition Research Laboratories at Anand, Banglore, Haringhatta and Palampur were started which were subsequently developed into full-fledged centres. Since 1969, radio isotope tracer techniques are used in research under the United Nations Development Programme was carried out for the first time in India in this Division. Respiration calorimeter facility was developed in 1980-84 with the help of Swedish International Development Agency to study energy metabolism in farm livestock.

AN IVRI
Animal Nutrition Division

The work conducted at the Division has been instrumental in contributing both in fundamental and applied research. The researcher benefited the farmers through lab to land programme. Post-graduate education and transfer of technologies in the area of animal development are the basic responsibilities.

This Division as Centre of Advanced Faculty Training formally known as Centre of Advanced Studies, imparts advanced training to the teachers and scientists of SAUs and Research Institutes, respectively under human resource development programmes.

ICAR-Indian Veterinary Research Institute

भा कृ अनु प-भारतीय पशु-चिकित्सा अनुसंधान संस्थान

Visitor number: 5434466
Site Last Updated on: 07 April 2015 at 19:27:32

Developed and Maintained by ARIS Cell, IVRI.
© 2014 reserved with IVRI